Career Development Fund » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Announcement: Changes to Certified Administrative Professional Exam, Certification Allows Eligible Staff to Increase Pay  Read More »

Q.  When do I apply for reimbursement for the Career Development Fund?
A.  An application and published material describing the program must be made to the CDF committee at least three weeks before the program/activity.

Q. How do I get reimbursement from the CDF for programs/activities?
A. The CDF will reimburse the employee for all activities after successful completion of the approved program. In some cases the employee’s department will pay the registration for conferences and seminars, and the CDF will reimburse the department. If the request is for reimbursement of exams (CPA, CAP, ASE), the individual must pay the registration and be reimbursed.

Q Can the CDF be used to purchase books to study for exams?
A. The CDF cannot be used to pay for travel expenses, events outside the state of Tennessee, international events, textbook costs, membership in organizations, or used in conjunction with employee fee waiver program.

Q. I started to work at UT last month. Can I use the CDF to pay for a conference next month?
A. To be eligible, employees must be classified as non-exempt, regular full-time or part-time employees for at least six months.

Q. Am I limited in my usage of the CDF?
A. Full-time, non-exempt staff employees may receive up to $150 per fiscal year for approved career development activities. Part-time non-exempt employees receive funding on a pro-rata basis.

"I have always wanted to increase my knowledge in my chosen career but have not had the funds. Just knowing I would receive the Career Development Fund money helped me have the initiative to start taking classes. My money helped pay for the CPS test which in turn gave me a pay raise. Thank you very much."

Linda M. Beets, CPS
Administrative Assistant III
College of Veterinary Medicine